Convergence Summit 2014 Themes
PERSONAL HEALTH AND SUSTAINABLE HEALTH CARE
How Connected Health and the Voice of the Patient are Transforming Society
WLSA’s 9th Convergence Summit (May 14 – 16, 2014 in San Diego) will focus on the most timely and important issues facing the organizations and individuals who are committed to improving health and transforming health care. In stark contrast to WLSA’s early days, the integration of new technologies and new ways of thinking into health care products and services is no longer the top issue. We will address institutional adoption (too slow), outcomes (public health is still deteriorating) and consumer engagement (encouraging but limited). Registration is now open!
Key topics will include:
- Curating for Outcomes. How can consumers, clinicians, providers and payors select the connected health devices, services and applications that meet their needs? What can vendors do? What is the proper role for regulation and industry standards? Can the marketplace provide this function?
- The Engaged Health Consumer. What are the best new devices and applications? Can the consumer retail sector become a driver of improved personal health? What are the key trends in consumer and patient behavior?
- Toward a Sustainable Health Care System. Can innovation solve the access and cost problems in health care? What are the prospects for reducing the demand for chronic care services? What are the best models in the health care sector? What can we learn from innovations in other countries?
- Personal Customer Service, the New Last Mile. Remote patient monitoring and therapeutic compliance are two of the best early opportunities for connected health. The patients most in need of connected health services are often those who are among our least connected and tech-proficient citizens. What service and business models are bridging this new “last mile” between service providers and end users.
- Payment and Coverage Reform – Taking Stock of Major Policy Initiatives. The health exchanges and ACOs are operational. Major payors have created connected health IT platforms that are intended to be consumer friendly. Entrepreneurs are building applications based on the administration’s Open Government initiatives. What can we learn from the early days of these programs? Where are the gaps and opportunities?
- Voice of the Patient. “Patient centric” care has been a buzzword for a number of years. Patient engagement seems to be linked to better outcomes. Do patients look at risk in the same way as regulators and providers? Do developers understand their end users? Are industry and regulators focused on the right issues?
Confirmed Speakers Include:
- Leroy Hood, MD, PhD, President, Institute for Systems Biology
- Ramesh Rao, PhD, Director, Qualcomm Institute of CalIT2
- Harry Greenspun, MD, Senior Advisor, Deloitte Center for Health Solutions
- Don Jones, Vice President of Global Strategy and Market Development, Qualcomm Life
- Ralph Simon, Founder, Mobilium Global
Other Summit Activities:
- iAward for Connected Health
The TripleTree iAwards were created to recognize companies that are demonstrating insight, innovation, and initiative in connected health. The growth and popularity of the iAwards has become synonymous with how healthcare is being shaped by connected health solutions encompassing wireless, cloud, and social technologies. This year, iAward nominees will be evaluated on a range of criteria including the uniqueness of their solution; marketplace traction; clinical, operational or consumer relevance; size of addressable market and international presence across three categories:
• Operational Effectiveness: Best solution that reduces costs and improving operational efficiency.
• Clinical Effectiveness: Best solution that enriches clinical care delivery.
• Consumer Engagement: Best solution that improves the consumer or patient experience and empower self-management.
- Structured Networking
These fast paced structured sessions give attendees the opportunity to pitch partnership opportunities to representatives from top connected health companies at the 2014 Convergence Summit. These sessions will fill up, so register early to ensure your place at the table!
- VC Thought Leaders Luncheon
- Co-located Receptions and Follow-on Programs (TBA)